Development Services - Planning Division
NOTICE: The Building Office, Planning and Zoning Office and part of the Engineering Division have been reorganized into Development Services. (540) 473-8320
The Planning Division handles:
- Site Plans
- Land Conservation
- Sign Ordinance Revisions
(comments to: email@example.com )
This division is responsible for all short and long-range planning functions affecting the growth and development of Botetourt County. It provides citizens with information related to land use issues, zoning, FEMA floodplain determinations, Home Occupation Permits, Manufactured Home (HUD) Permits, plat approvals, rezoning, site plan review, subdivision approvals, sign permits and variances, and performs review, inspection and enforcement duties.
- Botetourt County Comprehensive Plan March 2011
- Planning and Zoning Fees rev 07/05
- Home Occupation Permit rev 10/09
- for the Manufactured Home (HUD) Permit (formerly the Mobile Home Placement Permit), contact the Planning Office; answers to questions concerning trailers and mobilehomes may be found in the "Housing" section of the FAQ
- Sign Permit rev 07/08
- Temporary Use Permit Application rev 07/12
- Botetourt County commercial permitting information
Land Use Changes - Rezoning / SEP / Text Amendment
The Planning Commission, a five (5) member body appointed by the Board of Supervisors, makes recommendations on rezoning, text amendment and special exception permit applications. The Board of Supervisors makes the final decision regarding these recommendations.
The Planning Commission normally meets at 6:00 PM on the second Monday of the month, in the Old District Court Building in Fincastle. Agendas and minutes are posted in this website's Meetings area. For more information, contact the Planning and Zoning Department.
- Request to Vacate rev 07/08
- Rezoning/ SEP/Text Amendment and Change in Proffers/Conditions rev 01/14
- Pre-Application Conference Request Form
- Outdoor Lighting Waiver rev 07/08
All land divisions in Botetourt County are governed by the County Subdivision Ordinance (Chapter 21). A subdivision is defined as a division of any tract, parcel or lot of land, into two (2) or more parts, at one (1) time for any extended period of time, for the purpose of transfer of ownership or building development.
The Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA) is a five (5) member board appointed by the Circuit Court, which generally approves or denies zoning ordinance variance requests and hears appeals to the zoning administrators' decisions. The BZA's decision is final and appealable only to the Circuit Court.
The Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA) normally meets at 9:00 AM on the second Tuesday of each month in the Old District Court Buiilding in Fincastle. For more information, contact the Planning and Zoning Department.
- Architectural Survey of Botetourt County, Virginia (Dec. 31, 2008)
about the Survey Report (A. Firebaugh's Fincastle Herald article 03/25/09)
in County Libraries Reference;
available for purchase from the P&Z Office: $15 hard-copy; $12 CD (not available via download)
- Commercial Permitting Information
- GIS (Geographic Information
GIS Maps Help File
- Planning Commission and Board of Zoning Appeals Member Directory revised: 02/10
Floodplain Map Store
Maps for Botetourt County and its communities available for purchase
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- VA Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ)
- VA Department of Transportation (VDOT)
- I-81 Exit 150 Safety and Capacity Improvement Study Continues
State and Federal