Public Works

Botetourt County Public Works Department

The Botetourt County Public Works Director oversees the operation of four divisions: Maintenance, Engineering, Solid Waste and Utilities. Descriptions of services provided by the divisions are listed below. For information concerning accounts, billing and fees, contact the Public Works Department:

30 West Back Street, #4
Fincastle, VA 24090

Monday - Friday   8:30 - 5:00

Phone: (540) 473-8316
Fax:     (540) 473-8360

Emergency: (540) 473-8316

Other Information Resources


The Maintenance Division handles all maintenance and custodial services for the County administrative offices, Court buildings, Social Services, Libraries, Community Buildings, Education Training Center, Sheriff's facilities and Commonwealth Attorney's office. They also handle the grounds maintenance around government facilities in Fincastle.



5 West Main St., Suite 202, Fincastle, VA 24090

(540) 473-8139

located on the 2nd floor of the Old District Court Building

The Engineering Division reviews and approves water and sewer plans for commercial and housing developments to ensure they meet the standards adopted for construction within the County. The division participates in the final inspection following construction of water/sewer lines and reviews testing material, drawings and easement information prior to the County taking ownership.

The Division also reviews and approves erosion and sediment construction plans and issues all land-disturbing permits. It inspects during construction to ensure plans are followed, and follows up on complaints involving erosion and sediment problems. Land disturbing forms are available for download.


Solid Waste

Botetourt County operates a Citizen Convenience Center for the collection and conveyance of solid waste generated within the County. It is located off of Catawba Road (Route 779) approximately 7 miles from Roanoke Road (Route 220). The County provides numerous recycling collection centers to the public. Private collection companies provide residential and commercial trash collection services within the County. Information for trash collection and the location of recycling centers is available on the Solid Waste page.



Botetourt County operates municipal water and sewer systems primarily in the southern portion of the County. Municipal water and sewer systems are also operated in the Glen Wilton area and a municipal sewer system is operated in the Eagle Rock area. Private water companies operate throughout the County.

Information regarding rates, fees, forms and service providers is available on the Utilities page.